Child Custody Attorney in Georgetown
At Kraayeveld Family Law, our Georgetown child custody lawyers are passionate and experienced advocates for parents. As fighters, our legal team works tirelessly to help our clients best protect their rights, children, and future. If you have any questions about a child custody dispute, we are here to help. To arrange your completely confidential initial consultation with a top Michigan family lawyer, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
Child Custody in Michigan: Legal and Physical
In Michigan, child custody is split into broad categories, those being legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody is best defined as the right to make decisions about the child’s welfare. This includes things like medical care and schooling. In contrast, physical custody is about where the child lives on a day-to-day basis. Even in cases where the parents share legal custody, physical custody could be awarded solely or primarily to one parent or shared between them.
What to Know About Michigan’s Best Interests of the Child Standard
Michigan is what is known as a “best interests of the child” jurisdiction. Under MCL § 722.23, any conflict regarding child custody and child visitation will be resolved by a court in the manner determined to be best for the child(ren). The standard is comprehensive. A Michigan court has the authority to evaluate a wide array of different factors to determine what is best for a child’s health, safety, and overall well-being, including:
- The love and affection between each parent and the child and each parent’s capacity and disposition to provide love and guidance to their child;
- Each parent’s ability and disposition to provide the child with daily needs;
- Each parent’s moral fitness, physical and mental health and their willingness to co-parent;
- Each parent’s ability to provide a stable home environment and how permanent each family unit is;
- Parent’s willingness and agreement to parent or co-parent the child;
- Any history of domestic violence, abuse, neglect, or misconduct;
- The preferences of the child (if mature enough); and,
- The court may consider other factors not outlined in Michigan law.
We Fight to Protect Your Rights in Child Custody Cases
Our Georgetown, MI child custody lawyers understand how important it is for parents to protect their rights and the well-being of their children during custody battles. We are passionate about representing parents who are facing difficult custody situations and are committed to fighting for their rights. Nothing should come between you and your relationship with your kids.
We know that most people want to find a low-conflict, amicable resolution to their child custody dispute. At the same time, our Georgetown child custody lawyers also understand that you sometimes need to fight aggressively to protect your parental rights and your children. We are dedicated to being fierce advocates for our clients and we work tirelessly to protect their rights.
How the Michigan Family Law Attorneys at Kraayeveld Family Law Can Help
Founded by James W. Kraayeveld, Kraayeveld Family Law consists of a team of attorneys driven to provide the highest level of personalized guidance and advice to clients. In custody cases, we put in the time and resources to protect your family and help you get the best results. When you reach out to our Michigan family firm, you have a chance to work with a Georgetown child custody attorney who can:
- Conduct a comprehensive, confidential review and evaluation of your case;
- Investigate the matter, gathering the information need to support your custody claim;
- Advocate for your in any negotiations/settlement discussions with your co-parent; and
- Fight aggressively to help you secure the outcome that is right for your family.
Contact Our Georgetown, MI Child Custody Lawyer Today
At Kraayeveld Family Law, our Georgetown, MI child custody attorneys are standing by, ready to help you determine the best course of action. If you are locked in a high-conflict custody dispute, we are more than ready to help. Contact us right away to set up your strictly private appointment with an attorney. Our family law attorneys fight for the rights and interests of parents in Georgetown, Ottawa County, and throughout West Michigan.