Forest HIils Child Custody Attorney
At Kraayeveld Family Law, our Forest Hills child custody lawyers use their skill, passion, and personal attention to represent parents. With extensive experience handling high-conflict custody and visitation cases, our law firm is prepared to fight to protect your parental rights. If you need more information about your child custody, we are more than ready to help. To schedule your fully private, no obligation case review with a top-rated Forest Hills child custody lawyer, please contact our Michigan family law firm today.
Know the Difference Between Legal Custody and Physical Custody in Michigan
As a starting point, it is crucial for parents to understand the difference between legal child custody and physical child custody in Michigan. There are two separate but related concepts under state law. Legal custody is the parental right to make day-to-day decisions on behalf of the child, including decisions like where the children go to school and what health care they receive. Physical custody is simply about possession of the child. A parent with primary physical custody will be the parent with whom the child lives on a daily basis. It is possible that split legal custody could be awarded even if one parent is granted primary physical custody.
Understanding the Best Interests of the Child and What it Means for Your Case
In Michigan child custody cases, the best interests of the child are the primary consideration (MCL § 722.23). The court determines the best interests of the child by evaluating various factors related to the child’s physical, mental, and emotional health and well-being. Here is what you need to know about the best interests of the child in Michigan:
- Michigan law presumes that it is in the best interests of the child to have a strong relationship with both parents;
- The court considers the child’s love, affection, and emotional ties to each parent and each parent’s capacity to provide love, affection and guidance to the child;
- The mental and physical health of the parents is evaluated, as well as any history of domestic violence, poor moral choices, substance abuse, or criminal activity;
- How long the child has lived in a stable and satisfactory environment and whether that environment will remain in place in the future;
- The home, school and community record of the child and the permanence of each parent’s home and family;
- The court takes into account the child’s wishes if they are mature enough to express a reasonable preference;
- The willingness and ability of each parent to co-parent;
- The court sometimes has the option to review other factors that are not outlined in Michigan law.
Understanding the best interests of the child is critical in any child custody case. You should be ready to prove that you can provide the best environment for your child(ren). By working with a top-rated Forest Hills, MI family law attorney, you can build a strong case that demonstrates your ability to meet your child’s needs and protect their best interests.
Our Firm Fights to Protect Parental Rights in Complex Custody Cases
A child custody dispute can take an enormous toll on a parent and their family. With decades of experience, we know that these cases are challenging. Our Forest Hills, MI child custody lawyers also understand nothing should stand in the way of your relationship with your kids. We work hard to ensure that parents are able to protect their rights.
Most people desire an amicable resolution to a custody case—but you may not be in a situation where that is realistic or even possible. Specializing in high-conflict custody and visitation disputes, our Forest Hills child custody attorneys are ready to take your case as far as needed to protect your rights and your family. We are fierce advocates for our clients.
How the Michigan Family Law Attorneys at Kraayeveld Family Law Can Help
Going through a child custody dispute is never easy. Our exceptional family law attorneys built our family law practice with a team of attorneys that have a mission of providing each and every client with the best legal representation. No matter your situation, we are ready to work proactively to protect you and your family. Among other things, our Forest Hills child custody attorney will:
- Hear your story and answer questions about your custody dispute;
- Gather all of the documents, records, and information to need support your case;
- Advocate for you in settlement discussions with your former partner/co-parent; and
- Develop a personalized strategy focused on making sure you get the best results. :
Contact Our Forest Hills, MI Child Custody Lawyer Today
At Kraayeveld Family Law, our Forest Hills child custody attorneys are experienced, results-first fighters for our clients. Because we are experienced taking cases to trial, we are better able to settle our clients’ cases before they go to trial. If you are involved in a difficult child custody dispute, we are more than ready to help. Give us a phone call now or contact us online to arrange a fully private, no obligation case review. We represent parents in Forest Hills, Ada, Cascade, Grand Rapids, and throughout Kent County.