Schedule a Confidential Consultation With an Experienced Georgetown, MI Divorce Lawyer
At Kraayeveld Law Offices, P.C., our Georgetown divorce attorneys know that going through a divorce is not easy. We have the proven experience, professional knowledge, and record of real word success that you can rely on. If you are getting ready to end your marriage in West Michigan, professional representation is just a phone call away. For a strictly confidential, no-commitment initial consultation with a top Georgetown divorce lawyer, please contact us today.
Understanding Divorce Laws and the Process in Michigan
Preparing to get a divorce in Georgetown? Your case will be governed by state law. Although there are plenty of similarities, there are also important differences in the divorce laws from state-to-state. It is crucial that you have an understanding of how divorce proceedings work in Michigan. Key factors to know about divorce in Georgetown Township include:
- Divorces are Contested or Uncontested: Divorce cases fall into two broad categories. A contested divorce is a litigated divorce. No agreement can be reached. An uncontested divorce is a settled divorce. All material issues are resolved outside of court.
- Michigan Only Has No Fault Grounds for Divorce: Michigan courts do not directly litigate fault in a divorce case. Our state only has no fault grounds for divorce. The court will not assign blame to either party.
- Your Must Meet the Residency Requirement to File: You can file for divorce in Michigan no matter what state you got married in—but you must meet the residency rules. The state requirement is 6 months. The county level requirement is 10 days. If either spouse lived in Georgetown for the last ten days, you can file in Ottawa County.
- Property Division is Governed By Equitable Distribution: Asset division is a huge, highly controversial issue in many divorce cases. Under Michigan law (MCL § 552.401), a divorcing couple’s marital property is subject to equitable (fair) distribution.
- Best Interests of the Child for Custody Disputes: For parents of kids and teens, divorce is especially complicated. You will have to address custody and visitation as part of the process. In Michigan, custody cases are resolved with consideration to the best interests of the child (MCL § 722.23).
Our Georgetown, MI Divorce Lawyers Provide Comprehensive Guidance and Support
Navigating the divorce process is about a lot more than filing the right paperwork. It is about untangling the life that you built with your spouse legally, financially, and emotionally, so that you are in the best position for a better tomorrow. We understand that divorce can be overwhelming and we take the time to listen to our clients and provide representation tailored to their individual needs. Our Georgetown divorce lawyers handle all types of family law mattress, including:
- Asset and debt division;
- Alimony (spousal support);
- Child custody and visitation; and
- Child support.
We Fight for Your Rights and Interests Every Step of the Way
Divorce can be a complicated and contentious process. Although most people enter a divorce looking for a low-conflict and reasonably fast resolution, it is certainly not possible in every case. Our Georgetown divorce attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who will work tirelessly to ensure that our clients achieve the best possible outcomes in their cases. We will go the extra mile to fight for your rights and interests—no matter the specific circumstances of your case.
Why Clients Trust Kraayeveld Law Offices for Divorce Representation in Georgetown
Although divorce is relatively common, there truly are few things in life more stressful or complicated than ending a marriage. Founded by family lawyer James W. Kraayeveld and made up of a team of talented Michigan attorneys, paralegals, and legal professionals, Kraayeveld Law Offices, P.C. puts the interests of clients first. Your future is our priority. When you reach out to our team, you will be able to consult with a Georgetown divorce lawyer who can:
- Hear your story and answer your questions about the divorce process;
- Gather/organize your financial records and handle the divorce paperwork;
- Advocate for you in settlement negotiations with your spouse; and
- Fight aggressively to help you get the best outcome in your case.
Contact Our Georgetown Divorce Attorney for Immediate Help
At Kraayeveld Law Offices, P.C., our Georgetown, MI divorce lawyers are devoted to providing superior legal representation and reliable client service. We are fighters who will protect your rights. Reach out to us by phone or contact our family law team online for a confidential case review. We provide divorce representation in Georgetown Township, Jenison, Rosewood, Hager Park, Riverview, Hudsonville and throughout all of Ottawa County.