Get Help From a Top Forest Hills Divorce Lawyer
At Kraayeveld Law Offices, P.C., our Forest Hills divorce lawyers understand that ending a marriage is challenging. There are many complex issues that need to be addressed and resolved before a divorce can be finalized in Michigan. We are fighters and we are here to ensure your rights and interests are fully protected every step of the way. To set up a strictly confidential review and evaluation for your case, please do not hesitate to contact our Forest Hills divorce lawyer today.
What to Know About the Divorce Process in Michigan
Studies suggest that somewhere between 40 percent and 50 percent of U.S. marriages will end in a divorce. If you are preparing to file for divorce, you are certainly not alone. Tens of thousands of divorces are filed in Michigan each year. It is imperative that you understand how these matters are handled under state law. Here are key things to know about divorce in Forest Hills:
- A Divorce May Be Contested or Uncontested: In Michigan, divorces can either be contested or uncontested. In an uncontested divorce, both parties agree on all issues related to the divorce, such as property division, child custody, and support—meaning a settlement can be reached. In a contested divorce, one or both parties disagree on one or more issues—meaning the case is on the path for litigation.
- Michigan is a No Fault Divorce State: While courts in Michigan do assign blame for issues of property division and spousal support, fault is not necessary to get a divorce, which means that neither spouse has to establish fault in order to get a divorce.
- You Must Meet the Residency Requirement to File in Kent County: To file for divorce in Michigan, either you or your spouse must have been a resident of the state for at least 180 days and a resident of the county where you are filing for at least 10 days. If you or your spouse lived in Michigan for the past six months and one of you lived in Forest Hills for the last 10 days, you can file your petition in Kent County.
- Marital Property is Divided Equitably in a Divorce: Michigan is an equitable distribution state, which means that marital property is divided fairly, but not necessarily equally (MCL § 552.401). In general, marital property includes all assets acquired during the marriage, except for gifts and inheritances. However, depending on your specific situation the court will establish what is considered separate property and what is considered marital property.
- Custody is Determined Based on the Best Interests: If you are a parent of minors, you should know how custody and visitation work. It is going to be an issue in your divorce case. In Michigan, child custody is determined based on the best interests of the child (MCL § 722.23). What is best for the child’s health, well-being, and development matters most.
Our Family Law Firm Handles All Aspects of Divorce in Forest Hills
Our family law firm provides comprehensive services for divorce in Forest Hills. We handle all aspects of the divorce process, including representation, negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation. As highly experienced Forest Hills divorce lawyers attorneys, we are skilled at addressing complex issues. Getting a divorce is about a lot more than filling out the right forms. Our Forest Hills divorce lawyers help clients resolve all material family law issues, including:
- Property division;
- Spousal support;
- Child custody; and
- Child support.
We are Fighters: Your Best Interests Come First
A divorce can take an emotional toll on a person. As family & divorce attorneys with deep experience, we know that most people want to find an amicable, efficient resolution. At the same time, we also know that not everyone is dealing with a spouse who is acting in good faith. Our Forest Hills, MI divorce lawyers are skilled negotiators, but also fierce litigators who will not hesitate to go to court to protect your family law rights and your financial interests.
Why Choose Kraayeveld Law Offices for Divorce Representation in Forest Hills, MI
We understand how stressful, confusing, and overwhelming it is to start the divorce process. You do not have to figure out everything on your own. Our founder James W. Kraayeveld and our team of talented Michigan family lawyers work diligently and proactively to protect our clients. Among other things, our Forest Hills divorce lawyers will:
- Conduct a comprehensive review and evaluation of your case;
- Gather and organize all documents, records, and evidence you need;
- Represent you in divorce settlement negotiations; and
- Take aggressive legal action to protect your rights and interests.
Contact Our Forest Hills Divorce Attorneys Today
At Kraayeveld Law Offices, P.C., our Forest Hills divorce lawyers provide comprehensive legal guidance and advice that you can trust in a complex case. Contact our family law firm now to set up a strictly private appointment with an attorney. We handle contested and uncontested divorce cases in Forest Hills, Ada, Cascade, Grand Rapids, and throughout the surrounding region in Kent County.