Attorney For Enforcement Of Visitation Rights In Grand Rapids

Child custody and parenting time can be determined through a variety of methods. You and the child's other parent can propose your own arrangement, agree to specific terms in mediation, have a plan set through arbitration or let the Michigan court decide which arrangement is best. Determining legal custody, physical custody and parenting time is only part of the process.

Moving forward, both parents must abide by the terms set forth in the custody arrangement. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and you may have to enforce the order with the assistance of an attorney.

What Might Constitute A Violation Of A Custody Agreement?

The wrongful denial of your right to visitation may occur on many different levels, from repetitive minor violations to blatant refusal. Possible examples include:

  • Failing to exchange the child at the designated time
  • Deliberately scheduling doctor's appointments or other events during your parenting time
  • Failing to contact you when the other parent is called for an emergency situation such as a child's illness at school during your parenting time
  • Denying access to your child until support payments have been made
  • Refusing to uphold religious terms or restrictions set forth in the agreement
  • Behavior that goes against the "best interests of the child," such as substance abuse
  • Alienating your child from you and damaging your relationship
  • Failure to share extracurricular information such as grades, school meetings or sporting events

Possible enforcement actions include:

  • Make up time: If you have been wrongfully denied time with your child, you may be able to request extra time with the child to make up for what was lost.
  • Post-judgment modification: Initial custody or parenting arrangements were made based on the needs of your child at the time. These needs change as your child grows. If it is clear that your plan is no longer working, it may be time to discuss a post-judgment modification.
  • More restrictive orders: There are times when simply altering a schedule in a post-judgment modification is not enough. Some cases may require an order with more restrictions and sanctions to help ensure compliance and stronger enforcement.
  • Alternative dispute resolution: You and the other parent may be allowed to work together to solve the problem through mediation or other ADR programs.
  • Contempt of court: In some cases, a contempt of court action may be appropriate. In Michigan, the consequences can include fines or even jail time for the offending parent.

Protect Yourself And Your Child | Call Before You Act

Although some issues can be addressed in a very amicable manner, attempting to fix custody issues on your own without first consulting a lawyer is something we would certainly not advise.

To speak directly with an enforcement of visitation and parental alienation attorney with more than two decades of experience, contact our law office and schedule an appointment. You can reach our law office in Grand Rapids at 616-426-9644 or you can contact us online at any time.